Tuesday, May 29, 2012

Garden Hose Water

I wanted to post a quick thought on situational appreciation. As many of you who share a northern climate I am engaged in Spring garden preparations, yard work, and lawn maintenance. The past weekend was seasonally warm in my part of the world and I had worked up quite a thirst while moving some soil. As I am conditioned to do, I turned on the garden hose and quenched my thirst the way I had since I was a child. I can honestly say that often I consider cool water from a garden hose to be the finest water I have ever tasted...because I am particularly thirsty, I have fond memories of childhood summer days, the weather was beautiful, I was having a great day etc.
This started me thinking of how we within our industry disregard and demean customers who enjoy corporate coffee etc without considering how we ourselves lower our standards or disarm our prejudices in favour of situational or conditional factors which eclipse taste. Sometimes a Big Mac tastes as fine as a Prime Rib, sometimes a snickers bar tastes better than a Pain au Chocolat, sometimes garden hose water tastes better than Perrier and sometimes grandma's commercial coffee seems better than Esmerelda. Not always, just sometimes.

No comments:

Post a Comment